In MA, can an order for child support be modified without going to court?

Additional Information:

My ex and I have agreed to lowered payments and we have drawn up a new agreement which we both signed and had notarized.   Is what we did legally binding or can she sue me for back child support?


While parties can agree to modify without going to court, such agreements are nonbinding.  She can in fact file a contempt for back child support if she so wishes in the future.  There is an easy Joint Complaint for Modification of child support that can be filed administratively and approved without going to court if the clerk magistrate determines that the amount being paid is within the child support guidelines or reasonably close to the guidelines amount.  You should consult with an experienced family law attorney to determine if the amount you’re agreeing to is likely to be approved by the court. 

The Lowell Child Support Modifications Attorneys at Berid & Schutzbank serve individuals and divorcing couples in Lowell and throughout Middlesex County, including the towns of Dracut, Belvidere, Tewksbury, North Billerica, Billerica, Chelmsford, North Chelmsford and Tyngsborough, Massachusetts.

What Our Clients Have To Say...


Get the answers you need.