Where should I file for divorce?

Additional Information:

My husband and I have been separated for just over 30 days. We were married in Rhode Island in 2007 but have been living in Andover Massachusetts since 2008.


So long as you are still living in Andover, you should file here in Massachusetts.  The location of the marital ceremony is irrelevant to jurisdiction to file for divorce. The issue is where you reside at the time you file for divorce.  The second issue after state jurisdiction is venue (which county you need to file your divorce complaint in).  If either of you continues to reside in the county where you last lived together as husband and wife, you must file in that county. If you both reside in different counties, then you can file in either county where one of you now resides or the county where you last resided together as husband and wife.

The Andover, Mass divorce lawyers at Berid & Schutzbank serve all of Middlesex County, Essex County, Worcester County, and the Merrimack Valley region including Andover, Billerica, Burlington, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Dunstable, Groton, Lawrence, Lowell, Methuen, North Andover, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Westford, and Wilmington, Massachusetts.

What Our Clients Have To Say...


Get the answers you need.