Our father passed away and left his biological children each $5 and step children everything. Can we sue?

Additional Information:

Our father left his step children everything. Can we sue his estate for him being a dead beat?  He banked all his money, didn’t support his kids, and all these years he owned a house, 2 cars, had a pension fund and two bank accounts. He left us nothing. Is there anything we can do?


Assuming that there was a child support order from the court, then yes his estate can be sued by the mother and possibly by the children. If no court orders, you could still make a claim against the estate (assuming there are sufficient assets in the estate) if you can prove paternity (unless parents were married, then paternity not an issue). Consult a attorney to get more information.

The Greater Lowell family law lawyers at Berid & Schutzbank serve all of Middlesex County, Essex County, Worcester County, and the Merrimack Valley region including Andover, Billerica, Burlington, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Dunstable, Groton, Lawrence, Lowell, Methuen, North Andover, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Westford, and Wilmington, Massachusetts.

What Our Clients Have To Say...


Get the answers you need.