Do I have a right as a mom to tell my sons father I do not want our son around his girlfriend?

Additional Information:

My sons father left my son and I in a real financial pickle and has chosen to just move in with another woman. As a mom I don’t think it’s a good idea for my son to be around this other woman. Do I have a right, where as we have not gone to court yet to say I do not want this woman around my son?


There are several factors that the Court considers in a situation such as yours. Factors that would be consider include the length of time since the parents separated (at the time of the Court request), the emotional status of the child and how he is coping with the situation, the character of the new girlfriend (is there anything in particular about this person other than being the new girlfriend that merits keeping her away), whether or not the child has formed any attachments to this new person and what is in the best interests of your son. While a divorce is pending, the Court is more likely to issue such orders than in a post divorce situation. In a situation where the parents were never married, there are different considerations.

The Greater Lowell, Massachusetts family law lawyers at Berid & Schutzbank serve all of Middlesex County, Essex County, Worcester County, and the Merrimack Valley region including Andover, Billerica, Burlington, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Dunstable, Groton, Lawrence, Lowell, Methuen, North Andover, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Westford, and Wilmington, Massachusetts.

What Our Clients Have To Say...


Get the answers you need.