My ex husband wants to take custody of our son, we already have a court order child custody agreement in place.

Additional Information:

In 2001 my ex husband and I divorced and I got custody of our then 2 year old son. He had visitation and had to pay 100 dollars a week in child support. In 2005 my ex and I became a couple again and I ended up moving myself and our son into his house.
It has now come to a point where this relationship is still not working and I am in the process to buy my own home and move out. Of course I want to take our now 12 year old son with me. My ex husband says he is going to fight to keep our son with him. Does he have a leg to stand on?


Your former husband would have to prove that a Material Change in Circumstances has taken place since 2001. In order for me to give additional advice as to whether or not he has a legitimate chance of meeting his burden of proof regarding such a change, I would need more information. Please contact me directly if you are interested in setting up a consultation to discuss this possible case.  You will need an attorney to represent you in this matter. Good luck.

The Greater Lowell, Massachusetts family law lawyers at Berid & Schutzbank serve all of Middlesex County, Essex County, Worcester County, and the Merrimack Valley region including Andover, Billerica, Burlington, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Dracut, Dunstable, Groton, Lawrence, Lowell, Methuen, North Andover, Pepperell, Tewksbury, Westford, and Wilmington, Massachusetts.

What Our Clients Have To Say...


Get the answers you need.